Thinking of those who have gone before

Last week, after writing and publishing my letters, I read the letters from my siblings that they share with me each week.  Reading their letters reminded me of a couple of things that I should have thought about when writing: 1) Being the 24th of July weekend, my thoughts should have been on my ancestors and what I could share with my family (and there's a lot), and 2) My mom passed away on the 24th of July in 2004.  Dave shared a memory of my mom, which reminded me, but I felt that I should share a different memory since I didn't remember the same memory as he did. 😊 (Byt the way, Dave, Happy birthday on the 27th).

I've probably shared this memory of my mother before.  It's funny, but she might not appreciate that this is the first memory that came to my mind.  When I was in my mid-teens my parents purchased a motor home for convenient travel.  It was a little out of character, in my opinion, but we were set for some fun times and some fun memories.  On one particular trip my mom and I were sitting at the very small table fixing dinner.  We were cooking hot dogs and I guess we were setting out the condiments and side dishes.  My mom asked, "where are the buns?"  I looked around and so did she but no buns were to be seen.  After a few minutes, my mom stood up to look a little more thoroughly and I found the buns.  They were right where she'd been sitting and were completely flat.  As we sliced the buns for use, she made me promise not to tell anyone how they got smashed.  On another motor home trip we were making popcorn--in transit.  Dad hit a bump in the road and the popcorn went flying--everywhere!  I'm guessing that's the last time she attempted that.

My mom was always so thoughtful.  Everytime she came to visit us in Georgia she treated my kids like they were her only grandchildren.  She usually brought a few things with her--such as pine nuts, one of Roy's favorite.  She always remembered what he liked and treated him as another son.  She knew that if she gave him a shirt, it had to be 100% cotton, a fact his own mother could never remember (I think it's because she thought of me doing the ironing 😉.

I also remember a lot of amazing Sunday dinners--before and after we moved to Georgia.  I also remember dropping a whole bowl of mashed potatoes (I was about 10), as I was delivering it to the dining room table (in the dining room)!  It speaks volumes that I don't remember getting in trouble for it.  I'm sure it wasn't a fun clean-up as it had to have been on the carpet.

Phil gave a talk in his ward last Sunday and spoke of the influence of righteous ancestors.  This is an excerpt from his talk:

Righteous Ancestors--James Henry Hart and Phineas Wolcott Cook

Two of my great-great-grandfathers, James Henry Hart and Phineas Wolcott Cook were pioneers in both their  physical and intellectual migration from their places of comfort--or perhaps it was the discomfort of where they were and in particular the discontent they felt in the religious traditions they were raised in that drove them west physically and intellectually.

Great-Great-Grandfather Hart, in England, found inconsistencies between his reading of the Bible and teachings of the Church of England, and he therefore embraced the Baptist faith.  On encountering Mormonism for the first time, he thought his knowledge of the Bible and Baptist faith gave him the tools to find flaws in what he was sure was a "false religion."  His journal editor wrote, "He felt satisfied that Mormon leaders were false prophets and that it would only be necessary to read the history of Mormonism, interview its leaders, analyze its faith, doctrine and, organizations and compare those with the Bible in order to demonstrate their falsehood and folly."

After following this plan, James Hart wrote, "Where I expected to discover darkness, I found a great light.  Instead of finding error, I found God's eternal truth.  In place of finding this religious system in opposition to the Bible, I found it harmonizing in every particular.

"I was greatly astonished in discovering a new dispensation from the Almighty, committed to a people everywhere spoken against.  It seemed simple in its grandeur, and grand in its simplicity and who was I that I should fight against God."

Great-Great-Grandfather Phineas Wolcott Cook, in Michigan, had a very similar experience.  He borrowed a pencil from two strangers he met in a store, telling them that he intended to put the Mormons in their place at a public meeting scheduled for that night.  He knew the Bible and was sure he could identify the falsity of their message.  He didn't know that he borrowed the pencil from the very Mormons he intended to expose.  He said he did not take one note at the meeting because everything he heard was consistent with his knowledge of the Bible.  

Of course, both joined the Church: James Hart in England where he stayed to fulfill a seven-year mission before immigrating to America, and Phineas Cook in Michigan, where he left as soon as financial and family circumstances allowed to join the Saints in Nauvoo.  This was after the Prophet Joseph Smith's martyrdom, but before the Saints were driven from Nauvoo.

Now that it's the 30th of July, I realize I also need to share a memory of my dad who was born on July 30, 1921.  He would be 102 today.  

I always felt close to my dad.  He taught me to love the scriptures and the gospel.  I remember when I was about to be baptized and I was sitting by him in the front room on the couch.  He was telling me about baptism.  He said, "When you are baptized your sins are washed away."  I looked at him and in all seriousness said, "I don't think I have any sins."  

We are so blessed to have wonderful ancestors who have paved the way for us.  I feel that they are rooting for us and have an invested interest in our choices, our joys and our trials.  It's a blessing when we personally remember those who have moved on to their next adventure.  My dad wasn't worried at all about his impending death when he found himself ill 8 years ago.  When Nan said she was going to take him to the hospital, he declined saying, "It's fine.  If I wake up somewhere different tomorrow, everything will be all right."  He always had a strong testimony and faith in his Savior.  He was a great example to me.

Nick and Effie also celebrated their birthdays (yesterday).  They are lucky to be up in the Gorge to celebrate.  Below is a picture of Camden among the wildflowers.



Elise sent me a copy of Andy's annual review.  It was very complementary and his boss recommended his immediate promotion to Major.  Andy told me he is not up for promotion for a year, so this promotion will likely have to wait.

While I was scanning pictures this week, I came across this gem.  This is dad and Adrienne.  I think we have a picture like this of almost every child and grandchild helping Roy to drive the boat.  We 
have a lot of wonderful memories of boating together.



Yuna got her ears pierced this week and shared this picture.  You
have to look closely to see the earrings!

The rest of the pictures are from a side by side ride Roy and I took last weekend around the Geologic Loop up in the Flaming Gorge area.

The wildflowers have been amazing this year.  This is nodding thistle.  An invasive species that you only want to see in the mountains!



There were quite a few mountain goats grazing here.  Several were babies.









           Roy is in the side X side if you look closely!                 I'm guessing these are Yaks.











Caitlyn and Dallin have invited us for dinner this evening.  I'm sure it will be a great end to a wonderful week.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baptism of Maverick Roy Rasband (February 24, 2024)

Scriptural Thought

Ruby's baptism, Foster's baby blessing, and the Jackson's are in town