Indian Summer

Gunnar's Birthday Dinner



Time and Gunnar's schedule finally permitted him to have his birthday date with his grandparents.  We asked him where he wanted to eat--but told him to exclude Chick-fil-A from the equation.  He said, "Well, actually, I haven't eaten at Chick-fil-A for a long time...We talked him into eating at Hook and Reel.  He loved the snow crab and shrimp and he even tried a mussel for the first time.  He was pretty easy to please at the store, too.  He wanted a Nerf gun because he has monthly Nerf wars with his young men group at church.  

Flaming Gorge

Roy and I had plans to spend the whole weekend at the Gorge, but Wednesday evening I had a call from the Stake Presidency asking me to be at the Stake Council meeting on Sunday, after which they would officially release me from my calling.  I said, "Well, I was going to be out of town...I guess we could probably come back Saturday night.  President Ford said, "That would be good."  Then, President Daines came on the line and said, "Catharine, if I have to come back from Flaming Gorge, then you have to come back from Flaming Gorge." So, we changed our plans to return on Saturday night.  

It was so quiet up in Manilla this time.  Most of the boaters are done for the year.  We saw some amazing wild life.  There was a huge bald eagle right on the side of the road.  He had a rabbit.  We slowed the car down and it scared him off.  We knew he'd come back for the rabbit so we should've stayed to get a picture.  We also saw several hawks, many antelope, and turkeys.




We've never hit it right to see the salmon run, but we did this time.  It's such a warm year that it was slow in coming and we only saw about a dozen salmon.


This picture doesn't do the colors justice.  As we were driving through the aspens, the sun was shining on the leaves just right and they glowed.  It was beautiful.



On our hike we saw many woodpeckers.  I've never seen so many.  We also saw a squirrel after he dropped some pinecones out of the tree right above us.  It almost seemed as if he was trying to hit us on purpose.



We hiked to Daggett Lake.  It was a short hike, but rocky and slightly steep in places.





We thought it was pretty amazing that we could kayak at the end of September.
We didn't get in the water, but if I had brought a towel I probably would have.  The air was coolish (66 or so) but the water felt almost the same as the last few times we've swam.  It would have probably taken my breath away to hop in, but I'm pretty sure I could've gotten used to it.  The kayaking was fun because it was a little breezy, so we were navigating small waves.  We did get wet!






A gaggle of turkeys.  I didn't have my phone--I think it takes better 
pictures than Roy's.

The End of a Calling

We arrived home Saturday night in time to put everything away and hop in bed.  I wasn't excited to be up and ready for church in time to be to church at 7 am, but I knew it was my last stake council meeting.  I have to admit I have mixed feelings about being released.  I was told it was a four-year calling, so I have sort of been "anxiously awaiting" this, but it was bitter-sweet.  I have loved the association with all the stake leaders.  My testimony has been strengthened this past four-years.  The Lord has been with me in all my assignments.  I have seen His hand as all our planned events have come together.  I have felt the spirit in all of the stake meetings I have been involved with.  I have also grown as a person.  I think I resist growth in my life because I like my comfort zone.  This calling was not within that zone and I know I grew because of it.  I can also look back and see how previous callings have prepared me for this one.  It is a testimony to me that the Lord knows me personally and He knows what I need.  I will also miss my presidency.  I grew to love the women that I worked with.  I know I won't see them often (unless I make an effort) because they aren't in my ward and I will miss them.  I was able to share my testimony several times.  First in Stake Council; 2nd as my presidency met together with our spouses and were officially released; and 3rd in Fast and Testimony meeting.  I shared that I believe and am sure that President Nelson is a prophet, seer and revelator and that he's God's prophet here on the earth.  And that I know that Jesus Christ lives because I have felt His guidance, His comfort and His spirit throughout my life. And I know that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is His church on the earth.  As I continue to study and learn, fulfill callings, pray with faith and serve others, my testimony grows exponentially.  






 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baptism of Maverick Roy Rasband (February 24, 2024)

Scriptural Thought

Ruby's baptism, Foster's baby blessing, and the Jackson's are in town