There's a new movie out called, Escape from Germany.  I haven't seen it, but it's about missionaries during World War II making a miraculous escape.  Somehow Evan thought I'd talked to him about how my grandfather was somehow involved in this story.  I'm not sure who he talked to, but it wasn't me.  Also, it was more my mother's generation than my grandfather's.  It sparked my curiosity about whether or not my grandpas had served missions, so I called Dave.  He told me that as far as he knew, Grandpa Clyde did not serve a mission, but my Grandfather Cook served for 6 months in Texas.  He was limited to 6 months because of his farming responsibilities.  He also served with a full beard.  I can't remember which prophet was leading the church at that time, but he wore a beard and my grandfather loved him.  

While my grandparents were too old to be involved in missionary work during WWII, my uncle Blaine was not.  He served in Czechoslovakia.  Apparently there was also difficulty getting out of this area during the war.  Someone asked my uncle (while he was alive) whether he'd been in danger.  He said, "No, I got a ticket and got out."  

Glenn asked my Grandpa Clyde if his grandfather William Morgan Clyde had known Joseph Smith.  My grandfather responded yes and then told him a story.  He'd asked his grandpa if Joseph Smith was really a prophet and William Morgan Clyde (who had played with the prophet when he (William) was a boy) said, "I know Joseph Smith was a Prophet of God."

I thought these were interesting tidbits from our family history.  

I went to Logan on Thursday of this week to help lift Crista's load since Matt was out of town and had been since Tuesday morning.  Just before leaving I took these pictures:

This is a typical picture of Bridget.  Todd, too.  They were getting ready to go to soccer.  I'd wished I could stay longer and take Ruby to her soccer game so Crista could stay home, but I had my first class of the semester for Institute, so I needed to get home.  Ruby ended up making 4 goals!

Beautiful Beverly was in a school program


Harvey and Ruby had birthdays this week.  We finally caught up with our birthday dates after taking Finn out for ice cream Friday evening.  

Finn chose Nelson's Frozen Custard
We got to see Cub for a minute when we dropped Finn off.  He was 
with a babysitter and it looked like he couldn't quite figure out why we were there.

On Saturday we celebrated our 44th anniversary (just a couple of days late), by going to the symphony.  People were all dressed up with masks for the masquerade theme (that we weren't aware of) since the final number was Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet.  They were making masks upstairs, but we decided we didn't want to wear them.  We ran into cousins, Dianne and Wally Carr.  They are the ones that used to live in the home my Grandpa Clyde had built and lived in for many years in Springville, UT.  I've seen them at the symphony on at least a couple of other occasions.  

A fun event this week was something planned by Effie's 2nd grade class.  They use Unifix cubes for math and during an indoor recess they somehow came up with the idea to make a straight line for a mile with thousands of these cubes.  The teacher helped them to run with their idea.  They contacted the company who donated about 92,000 Unifix cubes for the event.  The company also paid all the outstanding lunch bills at the school, which is what the picture with the check is about.  On Saturday morning early, the kids met on Bountiful Blvd. at 6:00 am and began to line up the cubes.  They had 90 minutes to finish.  That's the time allotment determined when they decided to go for a world record.  Each of the children were allowed 3 or 4 helpers.  I was amazed that they finished their task in under an hour.  I had pictured each cube being 4 X 4, but they were 1 square-inch each.  

Effie's the girl in the very back of this picture




The Unifix company chose some children to be in a photo shoot.  All of Nick and Sara's children were chosen, even pre-schooler Cam.  Above at left is Avie, at right is Camden.

Ori is at the far right


The Rasbands were up bright and early



These kids were so lucky because it was forecasting rain all day Saturday.  It was wet, but not raining.





Effie had a full team of supporters.  Her parents, siblings, Grandpa Rasband and most of the Pederson family

Mimi had several of these shirts made for her side of the family




These cubes that finished the mile crossed a road, so they kept it open until the end.  I think maybe that's why it's curvy.


Sunday was Zack's baby blessing (and Ruby's birthday) so the whole Utah family gathered in Logan for the event.








Dallin, Doyeon, Cait


Ruby's birthday was also today so the Vance's were able to kill two birds with one stone.

This looks like a lot of kids! 
We had 20 of our grandchildren in Sacrament Meeting in Logan today.

Foster, Jennie, Jordan and Dan





Finn and Todd are best friends.  Todd LOVES Finn! 
I think it's mutual.


Dojin's art creation in church today







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baptism of Maverick Roy Rasband (February 24, 2024)

Scriptural Thought

Ruby's baptism, Foster's baby blessing, and the Jackson's are in town