The month of July


Week of July 10-16


In my last blog entry, I mentioned Matt's presentation in San Antonio.  I didn't say much because I didn't know a lot, but Crista straightened up a few points for me:

"Matt got his first paid speaking gig in San Antonio for a board of realtors.  He shared his knowledge on standing out in a 5-star world in the realtor industry.  He did a great job.  Shark Tank's Daymond John, was one of the other two speakers for the eventt and was paid $50,000.  Matt was able to give him his book and meet him briefly."

I didn't realize Matt was paid when I was writing last week.  They asked Matt what his price was and he told them.  It wasn't $50,000.  Crista said that the Shark Tank guy started out by saying he was blessing everyone with his presence, then he kind of backpedaled and stammered that the audience was blessing him with their presence, too.  She said he was full of himself.

We heard from Debra and Albert Bori this week.  They have been here most of the summer but have been dealing with a lot of health problems.  They have three of their children in Utah and a couple of them really need their parents.  Debbie texted me on Thursday to say that she was in town, so we had them for lunch on Saturday.  We spent the afternoon visiting and catching up.  Albert has finally sold his business (the one I wrote about in November) and is officially retired.  Unfortunately, because of a blow to the head (years ago) and a brain tumor; he struggles with occasional seizures and some memory loss.  He communicated well enough with us, though, and we had a delightful afternoon.  They left in time to meet their family for dinner where their oldest daughter, Jennifer, was planning on introducing her boyfriend.  We also had a dinner date with some friends, whom we met at 5:30.  We had a nice evening visiting with them.  

Sunday night we gathered for a family dinner with about 1/2 of the family.  Dan and Jieun were entertaining Jieun's mom and husband and her mom's husband's brother and his wife, so were unable to come.  Also, some of them weren't feeling well.  Crista and Matt didn't want to make the drive twice in one week (they are coming for Effie and Avie's birthday party).  Elise is too far away.  We were joined by Nick and family, Adrienne and family, Jennie and family, and Caitlyn and Dallin.  

Here are a few pictures from the week:

Greta lost a tooth.  Since the permanant tooth was already growing in behind it, Matt felt that he should pull the baby tooth.  Greta was very brave, because Matt did it with a pair of pliars. 
 I don't think it was very loose.



Jennie has begun doing nails and some hair in our basement this month.  Hyeji came over to help with Foster, and the rest of the kids came over for a haircut.  Yuli loves her cousin.

left: Camden;  right: Foster.  She's barely 7 months and is so balanced.

Cub and Foster, all tuckered out


Week of July 17- 23
Roy took off early Monday morning for summer camp with the young men.  And, guess where they went...Manilla--to our cabin, of course.  The bishop was gutsy and asked Roy about 6 months ago if they could use our cabin for their camp.  Seven boys and several leaders went up.  The boys had a large tent and were outside much of the time, but when the wind and heat overtook them, they played games and watched movies inside.  One of the boys (an 11 year-old) got homesick and went home Tuesday night.  They spent Tuesday on the lake (in our boat, of course) and Wednesday they went to the ranger's station, fishing, and hiking.  I am pretty sure they didn't want it to end.  After the hiking and fishing they went to the home/farm of Brian Smith, a Manilla ward member.  He has draft horses and was willing to show them off to the boys.  He also has rabbits, ponies, horses, chickens and other animals.  He talked to the boys about living in the area and about Butch Cassidy and the Wild Bunch, who at one time resided in this area.  He told them that he found the names of Butch Cassidy and Kid Curry scratched into a rock while he was out hiking on his own property recently.  Even though he's lived here for 25 years, he'd never seen that before.  He said Butch Cassidy was raised a member of the church.  He was an outlaw, but he never killed anyone.  






With Roy being gone, it left me with some alone time which I love.  On Tuesday evening I went out to work on the weeds in the yard.  It was probably 90 degrees, but since it was overcast I thought it would be fine.  I worked for at least 90 minutes: pulling weeds, picking berries, checking the hot tub, etc. I also gathered the eggs right before I went in the house.  I was rewarded for that with a sharp sting on the back of my arm from a wasp. When I got back in the house I took a small sip of water while washing my dirty feet in the sink.  I remembered that Dan had texted me about a book, so I ran downstairs to see if I still had a copy.  When I got to the bottom of the stairs I started feeling terrible.  I felt like I had climbed 10 flights.  My heart was racing and I felt queasy and weak.  I layed on the couch, then, not being able to get comfortable I moved to the floor.  This allowed me to crawl over to a table and get a small, half empty water bottle.  I took a couple of sips, then poured the rest over my head.  I was getting pretty nervous because I could hardly move.   I had left my phone upstairs (and my watch, since it was dead).  I was praying that maybe someone would stop by, but I couldn't think of any reason that anyone would.  I was praying that maybe someone would stop by, but I couldn't think of any reason that anyone would.  After about 20 minutes I was able to crawl upstairs and get to my bed where I called Dan.  He and Jieun hurried over and helped me get situated.  Dan had me raise my legs up and he and Jieun massaged them.  After another 30 minutes I started to feel better.  Dan sent Yuna over to spend the night just in case I needed any help, and he left his phone on in case of another emergency.  I seemed to be fine after that, but Yuna was good company.  
The next day I determined that rather than heat exhaustion, I may have had a reaction to the wasp sting, but Dr. Andy said he didn't think so...he said my symptoms were from the heat.  I stayed out of the sun, took it easy and felt fine all day, but in the evening my face was abnormally hot.  
Nick, Ori, Effie and I went to the play Newsies at the Hale Center Theater.  Ori's school is doing the play next year and she was especially interested in seeing it.  Effie's birthday is coming up, so I thought it would be nice for her to go, too.  She was really good, but I could see her just itching to get up and dance with the cast members.
Dad asked me if the thing on Nick's head was a hat.  
Yes--they had props!

Crista had another ultrasound and received an update about her baby's condition.  He does have a very pronounced cleft lip, but the evidence, as far as they can determine, is that the lip seals up somewhere in the nose and does not continue into the palate.  If this is indeed the case, then he will have surgery when he is a couple of months old.  The doctor thinks that since the palate is most likely not involved, Crista can have the baby in Logan as planned, and not at Primary Children's hospital.  We are grateful for modern medicine because Matt and Crista did a little research and found that Matt had a great aunt with a cleft lip who had a very difficult childhood because she was from a poor family and they didn't have money for the surgery.  I'm not sure how many years this surgery has been an option.  In any case, we are grateful.

On Thursday Sara threw a huge birthday party for Effie and Avie.  She used my backyard.  Jordan helped her with extension cords, etc. and they got a water bounce house and a foam pit all set up and ready to go.  It was tons of work (and I didn't help at all).  I don't know how many kids were invited, but there were a lot there, including most of my grandchildren.  Sara commented, "they had an epic time." 
I agree, everyone involved had so much fun (except maybe some stressed out adults, ha ha).
After the kids went home, the family stayed and hung out.  Some in the foam pit, and some in the house.

Below are pictures from this epic activity: 
Birthday girls, Effie and Avie


At left: Effie with all her friends; At right: Bridget




Ruby and Dojin;  Greta and Avie


Dojin; Hyeji






Doyeon, Effie and Ruby



Ila; Doyeon










Camden; Avie, Bridget, Yuli




left:In the foam pit--Nick, Sara, and Sara's brother. Ori and Doyeon in front; right: Dojin


Avie and Ila in the bounce house.  By the end of the two hour party, the water
was nearly black, but the kids didn't care!

Cub, chilling in the house

Finn, Ruby, Doyeon and Hyeji

Me and Roy are in the Flaming Gorge area again for the holiday weekend.  It's a different trip when no one joins us, but it's still relaxing and great to get away from the hotter Centerville area.  Roy spent Saturday morning mowing down weeds.  Sunroc was here to pour part of the cement around the pole barn.  We also enjoyed the lake for a swim and some rowing exercise.  We decided not to take the boat out, it's a lot of work with just the two of us.  



On Sunday we went to church.  The speakers were Carrie and Dana Dixon.  Carrie was in my book club back in 2009 when she joined the church.  They own a cabin just a few lots away from ours.  It is their "full time" residence.  I put that in quotes because they really haven't been there very much.  They often stay in Bountiful with their daughter, or North Carolina with their other daughter (who just moved to Utah and is currently living with them).  Dana's mom is in St. George in care facility and so they spend time there as well.  They spoke about God being no respector of persons (Acts 10).  Roy would be a member of two wards if he could.  He loves to talk to the members here.  We invited Keith Larsen (from the Manilla ward) and his wife for dinner. Keith has done a lot of work for us at the cabin.  He moves the dirt around for us, and he gave up his holiday morning on the 4th of July to come and help Roy with a pipe (for a slop sink in the barn) that Roy had to have access to before the cement was poured.  He's the man that took us to see all the baby cows back in April.  His wife isn't currently active, so Keith wasn't sure she'd want to socialize, but she agreed to come.  I met her a few weeks ago when we dropped by his house to pay him for some of his hard work.  She's into quilting and has even invested in a long-arm machine.  We talked and I think she may be willing to teach me.  

 

Kudos to Gunnar for taking 3rd place in his golf tournament

And Kudos to Jieun for having this painting in an art exhibit in downtown SLC Friday night. 
It is not the same moose she painted for our cabin, but it's similar. 
 She hopes to sell it, but I think Dan wants to keep it.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baptism of Maverick Roy Rasband (February 24, 2024)

Scriptural Thought

Ruby's baptism, Foster's baby blessing, and the Jackson's are in town