The Side by Side Ride




I have received my first assignment as an institute teacher.  I'm not sure if I'm happy or sad that I'm just a sub for this semester as the enrollment for the summer wasn't large enough to give classes to all the newly trained instructors.  I'm going to be teaching a class on John 7-10.  After looking through the chapters, I checked to see what the Come Follow Me suggestions were for these chapters.  I hadn't realized that the class is directly following this program.  So, I'm reading John 7-10.  I haven't planned out my class yet, but I have really enjoyed studying for it.  I love how the Savior reaches out with such compassion.  It is in these chapters that he heals a man who was born blind and stands up for the woman taken in adultery.  He also testifies of who He is.  In chapter 8 the Savior says to the skeptical leaders, "Before Abraham was, I AM" In saying this "He was declaring to the Jews that He was Jehovah, the same Being who spoke to Moses from the burning bush and who has communed with prophets in all ages;"  It's amazing to me that He could perform miracles and proclaim his divine sonship and have so many of the religious leaders of the day reject Him because of pride and jealousy and other insecurities. This is why it is so important for us to recognize President Russell M Nelson as a prophet, seer and revelator.  If we recognize and accept His prophet, we will recognize and accept the Savior.  I have thought about Peter (from last week's lesson) answering Christ's query, "Who say ye that I am?" And Peter, with faith, says, "Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God."  I hope that I can say those same words if He asks them of me (in whatever way).  I hope that I would be willing to die rather than denounce my faith and my belief in the Savior.

Weekend Trip


Our friends, the Miles, who live across the street from Dan and Jieun, are members of an ATV club in the area (most of the vehicles are UTV's, but whatever).  Roy went along with them to a meeting to see what rides the group was planning for the summer.  Roy had no intention of joining the club, since we are pretty tied to doing things in Flaming Gorge now, but it was nearly as cheap to join the club and pay for the ride with the club discount, than to just pay to go on the ride.  Darrell and Shelley Miles are currently (sort of) serving a mission.  It's a remote mission to the Democratic Republic of Congo.  Nan and Bruce trained them on the tools they would need.  The problem is, they don't speak French, and the mission president doesn't speak English, so he hasn't called on them to do anything.  They are prepared to serve (this is their 4th or 5th mission), and are even willing to go to Africa (again), if necessary, but they are being underutilized.  So, they may as well go 4-wheeling!  
To prepare to go to Green River, Roy decided to make hard boiled eggs so we could have egg sandwiches before we left.  When I went to crack the eggs to make the sandwiches, I told him there'd have to be a change of plans.  Roy first tried to cook the eggs in the steam oven (which is awesome for boiling eggs), but he put it on the "convection steam" mode instead of just steam.  The eggs started blowing up after just a few minutes.  Luckily, Roy heard the popping and rescued himself from a bigger mess.  He then got 8 or 10 more eggs out of the fridge and put them in the oven.  This time he selected the correct mode (steam), but then we think he forgot to press start.  Thus we had barely boiled eggs.  I still count my blessings that Roy is willing to cook; probably at least 50% of the time.  We ended up buying JimmyJohn sandwiches for the road.

This was a huge group for our first ride.   The ride was 53 miles long and there were 31 vehicles.  
We had checked out the weather in Green River, and it was supposed to get to 60 degrees, so somehow we thought we'd be warm.  WRONG!  We still took warm clothes and several layers, but we had underestimated.  It was cold!  You'll see in the pictures below that I am wearing Roy's hunting coat.  He'd thrown it in at the last minute.  I had on a sweatshirt, a fleece sweater, and my down jacket (the one that packs up small, not my ski coat).  Roy gave me the hunting coat to go over all that.  I think he was freezing, too, but he doesn't complain.  Luckily he had the ski cap.  I just had my baseball cap.  I was able to wear Roy's very thick leather gloves with hand warmers, but it wasn't enough.  There were just a few hours where I was "warm enough."  I guess we gained in altitude when we drove away from Green River to where the ride was actually taking place. 
I didn't know, but some of those little vehicles are either heated or have heated seats (not ours).  I'm not sure how much it helps when most of them are completely open to the weather, but I was wishing I could find out. 😁
We had a fun ride; It was so scenic and beautiful that I have to admit I was never bored.  However, though a lot smoother than our truck would be, it was still pretty bouncy.  I guess what I'm saying is--if Roy wants me to be his riding partner, it'll have to be on the shorter rides with warmer weather.  Otherwise, he'll have to be calling on his kids and grandkids to go with him.

The ride went on a little long because 1) there were lots of vehicles 2) the lead rider took us the wrong way twice (think about how hard it would be to get that many vehicles turned around on a one-lane dirt road). and 3) someone broke down and had to be towed a short way.  I think that last two hours broke me, but mostly because it was freezing!  8 hours had been planned, but we were out for around 10 hours.

This was our first stop and the only potty on the trail (if anyone knows me well, you know how I drink too many liquids and have to go to the potty too often.  I tried Charlotte's method of dehydration so I wouldn't have to go as much--I still had to use the "outdoor facilities" 3 times.  

Catharine and Roy (remember, we have a lot of layers on).












The same picture with two different views  



Swayze Cabin: We didn't know the story, but apparently the Swayze's were
outlaws--at least by some versions that were told.

Roy with Darrell Miles.  He told us he retired at 59.  I guess that's why he's been able to
fit in so many missions.  2 in different parts of Africa, one in England, one in Austrailia and now
back to Africa.  I'm not sure, but the two in Africa may have been one mission--they were relocated because of the ebola virus.  This picture was taken the 2nd day.  I opted to hang out at the hotel until I had to check out--then I hung out in the lobby and in a restaurant across the street.  I guess I'm a fair-weather rider.  The 2nd day they saw some awesome hieroglyphs. I was sorry I missed them, but not sorry I didn't ride--even though it was two or three degrees warmer. 😀  

Hieroglyphs






I like this one, it's a dragon.  It makes you wonder what they were really drawing.




The 2nd day there were only 26 cars.  I guess a few of the others
were fair weather drivers as well.

Gender Reveal


While we were out riding, the rest of the family received a great video from Crista revealing the sex of their coming baby.  I was a little disappointed I was the last to see it 😟-- Don't worry Crista, it's okay.



Other family pictures from the week


 

Elise shared a couple of pictures of Harvey at a pre-school field trip.  
He loves animals and was in seventh heaven.

 Beverly.  A dance recital

Yuna came over to help grandpa make cookies.  I bribed her with that if she would sit still the last 20 minutes of Stake Conference.  She was a big help!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baptism of Maverick Roy Rasband (February 24, 2024)

Scriptural Thought

Ruby's baptism, Foster's baby blessing, and the Jackson's are in town