2 Weeks in February


Week of February 5-11



 Roy was gone almost all week at a conference in Dallas, Texas and said that it was a very successful conference.  He came home exhausted!  I had a little time to myself, but was visited by children and grandchildren throughout the week.  I baby-sat, had a lunch date, enjoyed a visit from some grandchildren, and finished up a sewing class I'd been going to for a few weeks.

My first "babysitting" opportunity was, in reality, fun time with Ila while Adrienne had her hair done.  Ila spent nearly the whole 2 1/2 hours crafting at my counter.  We had a good time together.  


My grandkids don't usually just show up, but this week I spent an enjoyable hour or so with Dojin, Yuna and Doyeon.  They came over to play in my creek which is frozen solid in many sections.  I invited them in for hot cocoa.  It's probably good that I did, because Yuna's socks were completely soaked.  I  put them in the dryer with a towel, but it took me three tries pressing start to get them to feel even remotely dry.  

Yuna also had a birthday this week.  This picture is if Hyeji--I don't know who smashed the birthday cake into her face, but someone must have.  I don't think she'd do it to herself.

Nick and Sara took us up on our offer to babysit so they could go to the temple.  We enjoyed the kids.  I got a picture of Camden and Avie, but failed to take one of Effie and Ori.

Cam liked playing with the lantern, but Avie actually used it to help Grandpa get the eggs.

Jennie sent us this cute picture of Foster.  She's growing fast.


                                   Week of February 12-19

We made another trip up to Manilla to check on things at the cabin.  It is cold in Manilla!  We brought Caitlyn with us because we wanted to try ice skating on the lake;  something we've always wanted to try, but have never had the opportunity before.  This is a perfect year because there are large parts of the lake that are frozen.  We were comfortable with the thickness of the ice because we could see many ice fisherman with their huts, etc. a lot further out than we were planning to go.  Just to be extra sure, however, we started digging a hole with Roy's auger.  When I could reach my entire hand in, and half my arm, we stopped digging.  We never reached the water.

When we first drove up to the area we were planning on skating, I wasn't sure it would be frozen enough because the wind had blown the snow around and there were several glassy spots that looked like they could be water.  There was also was an area that wasn't frozen.  We walked close enough to decide that there was probably a spring coming up there with slightly warmer water that kept it from freezing there.  We found a couple of those glassy spots I mentioned and started clearing snow between them to make our own little rink.  

I have to admit I was pretty nervous; mostly because the ice was a lot less smooth than what I'm used to skating on.  Caitlyn got used to it quickly and was doing single jumps.  She was only comfortable with doing one double jump--the loop, because you take off and land in the same place.  I never got comfortable enough to try many tricks, but it was a fun experience.


We dug down about three inches to start, then kept digging just out of curiosity.

 The first day, Roy was our Zam.  The 2nd day we made him put on his skates, too.  He didn't skate long.  He values his life too much 😀  So do we!




clearing the ice




Roy and Catharine; Caitlyn and Roy








On our Sunday evening walk


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baptism of Maverick Roy Rasband (February 24, 2024)

Scriptural Thought

Ruby's baptism, Foster's baby blessing, and the Jackson's are in town