Back to School and a Family Reunion

I think my calling as Stake YW President is coming to an end.  This week Roy helped me with a fun assignment.  We had to pick up 80 boxes of cereal for a Viewmont seminary activity.  We had two shopping cars completely stacked with boxes.  I meant to take a picture for the newsletter, but I forgot.  My only job was to pick up and deliver all the cereal.  The YM president picked up and delivered 32 gallons of milk.  This Wednesday we have what I think will be my last activity.  We have three families in the ward (neighbors of each other) that all have pools and sports courts.  They have offered up their yards for a large youth activity.  We have two food trucks coming to feed everyone which makes my job a lot easier.  It should be great fun.  I'm glad Hyeji is in my ward and stake and that she is a young woman so that she can come and enjoy the evening.  If someone asked me what the best the best thing about my calling has been, I would say without hesitation: "Working with the Stake Presidency.  They are amazing men."  Yesterday we had stake council meeting.  One of our stake president's main concerns is that people feel loved.  He says, "This church is in the people business."  He hopes that the days are gone when youth feel that they need to go to the bishop for every infraction.  He says that the only things that have to be confessed to the bishop are the things that  put your church membership in jeopardy (eg. murder , adultery, and a very few other things).  He wants young people to feel that repentance is a gift and something to be used daily.  He doesn't want them to feel ashamed of making mistakes.  I've said many times that I hate getting up early for those meetings, but I am always so happy when I go because they are always uplifting.  The 2nd best thing about my calling is getting to know more people in the stake.  I received this calling after we'd been in the ward for less than a year.  I  didn't know anyone.  That has changed.

From Phil's letter this past week: Saturday night all my siblings got together (I had the Casper reunion).  Dave shared an experience that evening and Phil wrote about it: 
"We all have our various challenges, but  we are full of faith and hope. Dave mentioned being heavily weighed down recently after spending too much time listening to the news. He was aching deeply at the injustices of life. Finally unable to stand the weight and heartfelt sadness, he asked God to take it from him. He felt instant relief as he received the inspiration that God is in charge. Despite all the bad in the world, God is in charge. This morning I was reading 2 Nephi 2, where Lehi instructs his son Jacob – and those of us who will read the Book of Mormon – on the purpose of life and the need for opposition in all things. It is a masterpiece. Lehi’s sermon explains our day to a T. There are those who believe there is no choice, that we are who we are and what we are and that’s it – neither good nor bad. And they believe there is no God because that is the ultimate result of thinking that there is no spiritual law. Then there are those who believe, and I’m one of them, that we would not be if there were no God because there could have been no creation of things. There are those who believe righteousness is a choice and it could not be brought to pass without options. We can choose to believe in God, and we can choose to be righteous.
I highly recommend you spend some time reading and re-reading the chapter. It confirms Dave’s inspiration and provides us hope."

24. But behold, all things have been done in the wisdom of him who knoweth all things.
25 Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy. 
_______________________________________

Many of the grandchildren started school last Monday, and some started today.  I am including all the pictures since I'm a day late in writing my letter.


Hyeji and Doyeon




Yuna;  Ruby (and Matt)


Effie and Ori


Gunnar, Ollie and Finn


Ila joined Caitlyn and me on the skating rink on Monday morning after all her
playmates (siblings) went to school.




Dojin; Greta and Bridget (I don't think Bridget actually started school, but she had some sort of class).  Dojin and Greta both started kindergarten.  Ila and Avie have yet to start preschool.





Later in the week we drove up to Logan for the Cache Valley Century bike ride.  Well, I rode up to tend the Vance kids so their parents could join Roy and Caitlyn in the 35 mile ride.  We had dinner at Firehouse Pizza on Friday night.






Todd and Greta


I'm almost getting used to having my picture taken while I'm eating because it happens so often.




Bridget and Caitlyn; Roy, Todd and Matt;  Crista, Ruby and Catharine






Ruby and Caitlyn; Todd


Bridget, Ruby


Greta, Catharine and Todd

Crista's neighbor plants a themed garden every year.  This year it was in honor of the Ukrainians.  As you can see, it's quite beautiful.




Below:  Todd had a great time sliding off the edge of the couch.  Over and over and over...




Above three pictures are our riders, Roy, Matt, Crista and Caitlyn



The rest of the pictures are from the Casper family reunion (Roy's mom's family).  These reunions are great, but it's easiest to socialize with  your immediate family.  Most of us made an effort to at least talk to a few of the other relatives. 😀


Bridget, Camden, Yudi and Hyeji;  Roy and Hyeji


Roy, Matt, Crista, Dan and Dojin


Ori, Avie, Camden, Sara, Nick, and Ruby;  Camden


Sara and Nick (sometimes I forget to take pictures of the grown-ups).  Finn and Yuna taking turns making each other sick.

Crista and Adrienne








The grandchildren in attendance are: front row: Avie, Bridget, Finn, Todd, Dojin, Doyeon, and Ila
Middle row:  Ollie, Effie, Greta, Ori, Gunnar and Hyeji with Camden and Yuli on their shoulders.  Back row and hiding: Yuna and Ruby.







Catharine and Aunt Gloria; Gunnar with Camden






    
Bridget; Gunnar, NIck, Hyeji, Roy, Roy's cousin Elaine, Adrienne and AJ







 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baptism of Maverick Roy Rasband (February 24, 2024)

Scriptural Thought

Ruby's baptism, Foster's baby blessing, and the Jackson's are in town