Ori's Baptism and Gunnar's ordination

The highlights of the last two weeks were Ori's baptism and Gunnar's ordination to the Priesthood.  Ori was privileged to be baptized just 5 days after her birthday.  Happy Birthday, Ori!  

She looked so beautiful and grown up.  Her primary chorister was there to lead the opening and closing songs, and Ori had asked her to use sign language on the closing song, as they had learned it in Primary.  The song was, "My Own Sacred Grove" by Angie Killian. It really touched my heart to hear it sung, but also to watch the sign language.  The lyrics of the song are:

Joseph Smith went to a grove full of trees
Seeking God's wisdom, he fell to his knees
As he pled with the heavens, the sky filled with light
And the Father appeared with His Son Jesus Christ
Standing above in the air
Coming to answer his prayer
I will find my own sacred grove
Away from all of the noise of the world
I will turn to prayer
For I know He's there
I will find my own sacred grove
So many choices with so much at stake
Life's full of pathways, but which should I take?
If I lift up in prayer in the name of the Son
Through the power of the Holy Ghost, answers will come
Heavenly Father is there
Ready to answer my prayer
I will find my own sacred grove
Away from all of the noise of the world
I will turn to prayer
For I know He's there
I will find my own sacred grove
Sometimes the answers take time
So I'll listen in heart and mind
Revelation will come my way
As I wait patiently in faith
I will find my own sacred grove
Away from all of the noise of the world
I will turn to prayer
For I know He's there
I will find my own sacred grove
I will find my own sacred grove.

To see it sung beautifully by some young girls: I will find my own Sacred Grove

It is so hard to find quiet in the cacaphony around us.  It was wonderful to spend a quiet half hour to witness this next step for Ori.

Nick and Ori


Matt, Todd, Jennie;    Avie, Greta, Effie, Ruby



Our family members that were able to be at the baptism.  Illness
and distance kept the rest away.


Effie, Sara, Avie, Camden, Nick and Ori

We had dinner with the Green's on Thursday night, and their bishop came to their home to perform the ordinance.  They normally do it at church, but because of  not meeting together with the young men until the end of the month, they decided to do it at the individuals homes so they didn't have to wait so long.  Gunnar has really grown into a fine young man and he'll make a great deacon.  We are very proud of both of these grandchildren.

On Saturday evening we were able to spend some time with Ruby, Greta, Bridget and Todd while Crista took Matt out for his birthday--which is today!  We are glad to have Matt in our family.  Happy Birthday Matt.  I also got to take Ila skating on Friday while Adrienne went to a Dr. appointment.


Ila;  Adrienne joined us after her appointment



Though the baptism yesterday was the highlight, I will also share some pictures from our vacation in Mexico.  We had a great time doing nothing much but catching up on our reading in the warmth and sunshine on the beach.  
We did enjoy some of the exercise classes that were offered.  We joined all the water aerobics options, but the activities directors knew nothing about exercising in the water.  They also have water cycles. They put some stationary bikes in the pool for a cycling class.  Since I love water and Roy loves biking, this was a great option for us.  In one of the biking classes we were doing intervals and I jokingly said, "you're really going to have us go this fast for one whole minute."  The instructor responded, "Welcome to Mexico where life is unfair!"  It was a joke, but it did cause me to think about how hard the Mexican people are working at the resort, while the Americans, Canadians, and Englanders all sit on the beach and do nothing.  I wonder if the people there are ever resentful.  I asked someone years ago in Cancun if he resented the Americans just lazing around.  He said that they were just grateful to have work.  We are so fortunate in America, I don't think we appreciate the way we live as much as we should.

We also went on a whale tour, which is something we always love to do.  This time we just hired a Mexican boat driver and it was just the two of us on the boat.  On the way back from the excursion, our boat driver put out his fishing lines.  He caught a jack pike, also called a chorro, and  let me reel it in.  Since it was getting warm, I asked the driver if I could jump in the ocean and cool down.  He stopped the boat, brought in his lines, and we jumped in.  We were only in a few minutes, but somehow I got stung by jellyfish.  It was pretty itchy the rest of the way back, I used up all our water bottles pouring fresh water over the stings, which gave me  temporary relief.  When we arrived back to our resort, one of the security men got into his first aid kit and sprayed vinegar on it and the itching was relieved instantly!  They were very surprised I got stung as it's not the season for jelly fish.  The resort security wanted to know which side of the beach I was swimming on, etc. I guess so they could warn other swimmers.  I told them I was probably 1/2 hour out to sea.


The New Year's Eve celebration at the resort was pretty fabulous.  The buffet  included lobster, king crab, some other kind of crab claws, jumbo shrimp, steak, lamb and so on.  Of course there were salads, cheeses and bread, too.  I concentrated on the seafood as I knew I could only eat so much.  The entertainment was fun, too, with a  sort of like Cirque Du Soleil like presentation.  I was a little worried there would be a lot of drinking at the tables, but at least the people near me didn't drink very much.  

We probably stand out when we go to a resort like the one we went to because we don't drink alcohol.  One of the waiters took the time to ask Roy about it.  I think he was impressed.  We also dressed up and walked to church on Sunday, which is probably very unusual. We met another couple in the elevator and they asked us if we were going to church.  We answered, "yes". Then they asked if we were members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day-Saints.  I guess it was pretty obvious. They were also headed to church.  They took a cab.  

There were a couple of things that Roy and I found amusing.  In one restaurant they had "provolone cheese with tomato sauce" as an appetizer.  I asked the waiter if it was small and he answered in the affirmative.  I wish I had taken a picture.  The cheese showed up.  It was a great big slab of cheese--at least 1/2 lb.  slightly melted with a very delicious sauce on the bottom.  Of course, I only ate a few bites, if I had eaten all of it, I might have died from fat intake.  The other amusing incident happened when we were by the pool.  I went over to the bar to ask for water and heard some loud exclamations of surprise.  I looked over and there was a large iguana sitting poolside, having a nice drink.  After ignoring all the people taking pictures of it, it entered the pool and swam across.  There was someone filming it from the pool, but she obviously wasn't expecting to swim right to her.  After it got out the pool, the employees got a paddle and a towel and herded the iguana back to some of the surrounding green areas. I didn't get a picture of this, either.

Most of all it was just fun to be with Roy and spend time with him.  It was nice to get away for a short time, especially after all the entertaining we did at Christmas.  Of course, we loved that, but it does get tiring 😊


















The resort



Sunset



I told Roy that everytime he took a picture of me, I was going to make sure I took one of him.  He used to tease me that if he died, no one would know he existed.  I'm better at taking pictures, now.  He often catches me in unflattering ways; it seems like whenever I'm trying to eat, he snaps a photo.














selfie




New Year's Eve is a huge holiday in Porta Vallarta--complete with fireworks all along the beach front.

This is how we watched the fireworks--from our 11th floor room.



Our first time to Puerta Vallarta we discovered this restaurant, "Tacon de Marlin" It's right by the airport, so we try and make a stop on our way home.  The burrito on the left is Marlin, and Shrimp on the right.  They're delicious!


While we were gone:

Effie is a little bit accident prone, poor thing--probably because of her eye sight; she doesn't have great peripheral vision.  Right:  Andy playing bakery with his daughter.  He even has on Max' apron and hat.

 Christine sent this.  It's grandpa Cook's mission call.  It looks like they did it differently back then!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baptism of Maverick Roy Rasband (February 24, 2024)

Scriptural Thought

Ruby's baptism, Foster's baby blessing, and the Jackson's are in town