Labor Day and 9-11--Day of remembrance

 This past week we remembered 9-11.  In Dave's letter, he included memories from his kids of where they were at the time of the attack on America. This caused me to reflect also.  I remember walking into our bedroom where Roy was getting ready for work.  The TV was on and the first tower had just been hit.  We were stunned.  We knew that this was a tragic day for America.  Many lives were lost, and also many personal freedoms were lost--especially when traveling.  It used to be much easier to fly--I did it often with all my children, but Roy could accompany me all the way to the gate, and when I arrived home he could meet me at the gate.  Elise has to maneuver all her children through security and onward.  It's hard to believe that Caitlyn was only about 18 months old at the time this happened.

We used to be able to take water, too.  Most of the time we can buy a water, but flying home from Chile in 2015--I think it was at least a 6 hour flight, we bought our water after we got through security, and it was taken from us as we were boarding the plane.  That was one of my most miserable flights (for more reasons than just water). 

I worry that we will see more terrorism now that the Taliban is in control of Afghanistan again.  However, we are told to have faith and not to fear.  We can find peace in our homes, wards, stakes and communities.  



Gunnar turned eleven on the last day of August.  Now my two oldest grandchildren are eleven.  It’s amazing how grown up they both are.  Gunnar has a great work ethic—he’s been mowing our lawn this summer—and he likes to save money.  He’s also aware that it’s nice to do service for grandparents as a couple of times he asked Roy not to pay him.  He’s a super sweet kid. 

Nan celebrated a birthday, too, on Sept. 8.  Nan, Christine and I went to lunch in celebration.  I wasn’t sure we’d be able to pull her away from her mission responsibilities, but it turned out she was going to be in Salt Lake helping Bruce with his Lotus exhibition.  Rachel was helping, too, so she came along.  We had a great visit.  One of my favorite activities is to get together with my sisters—and anyone in my family for that matter.

Catharine, Christine, Nan


We were able to get away to Flaming Gorge for Labor Day.  We haven’t been up there nearly as much as we’d like, since we’ve been so busy with other travels and also our callings in YM and YW.  Jordan and Jennie and Caitlyn and Dallin were able to join us and we had a very enjoyable time.   We only had one day on the lake and it was crowded for the holiday weekend.  I’ve never seen it so crowded.  I was surprised since we tend to see less people when gas prices are high.  It may be because Lake Powell, Willard Bay, and all the other lakes nearby are so shallow that they are becoming dangerous.  Dallin’s family went to Willard Bay that day and said there were only about 15 boats, but the water was very shallow.  I forgot to put the paddleboard on the boat and felt a little bad about that as it was probably my last chance for the summer.  We didn’t try and wakeboard or anything because the water was rough-and cold!  If the water had been smooth some of the kids may have been willing to face the cold, but it wasn’t tempting enough.  However, we did swim, and it only took a few minutes to get used to the water (or become numb to it…) 



Caitlyn did my hair in pony tails




The horses in the neighboring field were very friendly

Hiking to the overlook

While we were gone Dan took these two awesome pictures in our garden.  A "Siamese" cucumber, and a praying mantis.

Also, while we were gone:  Camden, eating his pasta; Harvey climbing as high as he can.  It doesn't look very safe; and Yuli and Doyeon watching TV


Avie at Cascade Springs
Sara and the girls went to Cascade Springs.  On their way home they went by Aspen Grove and the girls were so excited.  They wanted to stay there again!

Roy spent a couple of days in the Chicago area for work—NATSAP (National Association for Therepeutic Schools) has started having conferences again (they stopped during COVID).  He has a couple more trips to go on in October, Rhode Island and Nashville. He asked one Chicagoan if it was dangerous where she lived.  She said no, that she lived in the north, but, she said, in the south it’s like a war zone. 

I thought I’d get a lot done while he was gone, but I was gone a lot, and then when I was home I was too tired to do much.  ­­­­

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baptism of Maverick Roy Rasband (February 24, 2024)

Scriptural Thought

Ruby's baptism, Foster's baby blessing, and the Jackson's are in town