The 100th Birthday celebration for Vernon and Ila

                            The legacy of Vernon and Ila Cook


The focal point of the week was the wonderful reunion we had with the Cook Family.  So many of Vernon and Ila's posterity were able to be there.  I'm sure they were able to glimpse the interactions taking place throughout the afternoon and evening, and I'm sure it made them happy.  It is amazing that there is so much love for each other among the siblings, the cousins, and now the 2nd cousins and so on.  The grandkids had such a good time playing with their second cousins.  I asked Doyeon if she had fun meeting and playing with all these new cousins.  Her response: "Yes, but now I'm going to miss them."  When Ruby was called to join their family in their departure, she ran by me with a sad expression.  I asked, "Ruby, what's wrong."  Ruby said emphatically, "I just want to keep playing."

Another funny story:  Finn came running to Adrienne and tattled on Isla (Emily's daughter).  "She hit me," he said.  Adrienne could see that Isla was running over, too.  She knew she was being tattled on and she wanted her say.  "He hit me first," Isla called out.  Adrienne asked Finn if he had hit Ila first and he said, "yes."  Adrienne's response, "Finn, you know you don't hit girls.  You're in trouble!"

I didn't take many pictures, I was enjoying visiting with everyone too much.  I noticed Bruce Oblad took a lot, so I hope he'll share.  I did take a few.


It seemed to me that Dojin never left the trampoline.  Ruby was shy to play at first, but when she saw Ila was playing in the bounce house, she was able to pluck up her courage and join in.  All of the kids seemed to be enjoying themselves.  By the end of the night, Gunnar had a new best friend in his 2nd cousin Finn Cook.
Roy was in charge of the food.  He always gives 100%.  Dave spent hours on the video celebrating my parents, and Phil was so generous with the use of his house and yard.  Glenn and Nan gathered memories and will be sending them out for us to read and print.  Many hours went into the planning and execution of this event, and it was worth it!

I didn't take many pictures, I was enjoying visiting with everyone too much.  I noticed Bruce Oblad took a lot, so I hope he'll share.  I did take a few:

It seemed Yuli was having a good time.
She loved the food!  Dan helped make 
Todd happy. 




I love all of these people!  Catharine, Phil, Dave, Bruce, Glenn, Christine and Nan. 
 It's kind of hard to believe how old we are all getting to be.  

I love all of these people, too.  Ila, Dallin, Caitlyn, Crista, Matt and Bridget, Roy and Todd,
Hyeji, Gunnar, and Adrienne and AJ



Other pictures from the week

Roy tries to attend at least some of Ollie's games.  He plays so often, it's hard to keep up.  Below was a soccer playoff game.  They lost, but at least they came in 2nd overall. The rest of the family are great to support and go to each other's games.  I think Ollie plays the most often, though.







Finn
Gunnar and Ila.
Ila





Camden liked the reunion, too.  Especially the snowcone
grandpa fed him.  This picture is at his home--he's conquered the stairs.
Look how happy it made him!

I think Dojin and Avie like each other.



Right after Iceland Roy took off for a couple of days of camping with the young men in our ward.  There were nearly as many leaders as youth.
Doyeon, showing off her artistic talents.
 The  animal (?) is made with cottonballs






Mav allowed Elise to cut off all his curls--including his mullet--so he'd be ready to start kindergarten.  They are already back in school (these pictures are from last week)
Max had a haircut, too.


Dan had smoked a brisket for Sunday evening dinner and was willing to share, so they came over with the dinner.  Adrienne and AJ and kiddos joined us, too.  The brisket was delicious.  It had been marinated for 24 hours and smoked low and slow.  





Ila took her turn being hurt when she walked in front of the swing.  She had a big bruise on her ear, and probably will have one on her cheek.  It seems like someone gets hurt at our home at least 50% of the times we get together.

In thinking of my parents, I wanted to share a quote that I found this week studying Come Follow Me.  At the family reunion I thought about the legacy my parents left behind.  Of course, they left us unshakeable testimonies as to the truthfulness of the gospel, and they also valued education.

President Dieter F. Uchtdorf taught, “For members of the Church, education is not merely a good idea—it’s a commandment.”[1] The Lord instructs His disciples to gain learning on a number of subjects, both secular and spiritual. Disciples with educated minds are better prepared to “magnify” their callings (D&C 88:80).
President Gordon B. Hinckley echoed the same message: “You need all the education you can get. Sacrifice a car, sacrifice anything that is needed to be sacrificed to qualify yourselves to do the work of the world.” While education is a commandment and great blessing in our lives, there is no specific field or discipline held above any other. President Hinckley emphasized this when he taught, “The Lord wants you to educate your minds and hands, whatever your chosen field. Whether it be repairing refrigerators, or the work of a skilled surgeon, you must train yourselves. Seek for the best schooling available. Become a workman of integrity in the world that lies ahead of you. I repeat, you will bring honor to the Church and you will be generously blessed because of that training.”[2]
[1] Dieter F. Uchtdorf, “Two Principles For Any Economy,” October 2009 General Conference.
[2] Gordon B. Hinckley, “A Prophet’s Counsel and Prayer for Youth” [broadcast, November 12, 2000], Ensign, January 2001.

I'm proud of all of you and the efforts you have made and are making in this area.  "To be learned is good if ye hearken unto the commandments of God." 

This quote is also for me.  I find myself wasting time or being lazy about continued learning, but there is so much to learn.  I am striving to use my time better so that I can learn more about history, world affairs, and other things of interest to me.  Phil told a story of my dad.  Before my dad died, Phil was going through all my dad's passwords with him so that he'd have computer access when my dad wouldn't be there.  Phil saw one that my dad hadn't mentioned and he asked, "What is this one for."
My dad said, "Oh, you don't need to worry about that one."  Of course, that sparked Phil's curiosity, so he persisted.  My dad finally admitted that he was taking an on-line class on the constitution.  He was 93 years old and was continuously seeking and learning.  He was always a great example.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baptism of Maverick Roy Rasband (February 24, 2024)

Scriptural Thought

Ruby's baptism, Foster's baby blessing, and the Jackson's are in town