A new year, a change in the President of the USA, and birthdays...

In his letter this week, Philip expressed his displeasure in the political events that happened this past week.  I agree with everything he said, but he said it so well that I decided to just quote him.

"I have been particularly irritated by this week’s events in Washington, D.C., encouraged, it
appears, by a narcissistic paranoid soon-to-be ex-president.(Today, I am a self-appointed psychologist.)
Regardless of all the good he achieved the last four years (summarized by Kimberly A. Strassel of the
Wall Street Journal as “The withdrawal from the Paris climate accord and the Iranian deal. The greatest
tax simplification and reduction since Reagan. The largest deregulatory effort since – well, ever. Three
Supreme Court justices and 54 appellate court judges. Drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Reserve.
The Jerusalem embassy. Criminal-justice reform. Opportunity zones.”)
Of course, many view these accomplishments with horror. But I will say that in my 64 years, I have not
seen a president accomplish so much towards peace in the Middle East. Unfortunately for him and for those who view these achievements as positive, he has just erased that legacy by flaunting the democratic process and encouraging discord.
It is time to move forward and recognize that the democratic process has given us new leadership. If we
can’t idly abide it, then we can peacefully advocate change in forthcoming elections. President Dallin H. Oaks gave a powerful sermon to this effect in October Conference 2020 – after the riots of summer
2020, but before last week’s attack on our Capitol. He said,
 "We live in a time of anger and  hatred in political relationships and policies.  We felt it this
summer when some went beyond peaceful protests and engaged in destructive behavior. We
feel it in some current campaigns for public offices. Unfortunately, some of this has even spilled
over into political statements and unkind references in our Church meetings.
“In a democratic government we will always have differences over proposed candidates and
policies. However, as followers of Christ we must forgo the anger and hatred with which political
choices are debated or denounced in many settings.

“Here is one of our Savior’s teachings, probably well known but rarely practiced:
“’Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.
“But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate
you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you’(Matthew 5:43–44).
“What revolutionary teachings for personal and political relationships! But that is still what our
Savior commands. In the Book of Mormon we read, ‘For verily, verily I say unto you, he that hath
the spirit of contention is not of me, but is of the devil, who is the father of contention, and he
stirreth up the hearts of men to contend with anger, one with another’(3Nephi 11:29).
“Loving our enemies and our adversaries is not easy. ‘Most of us have not reached that stage of
... love and forgiveness,’ President Gordon B. Hinckley observed, adding, ’It requires a self-
discipline almost greater than we are capable of.’ But it must be essential, for it is part of the
Savior’s two great commandments to ‘love the Lord thy God’ and to ‘love thy neighbour as
thyself’(Matthew 22:37, 39). And it must be possible, for He also taught, ‘Ask, and it shall be
given you; seek, and ye shall find.’” (Matthew 7:7).

Let’s follow the Savior in learning to have godly love for all our fellow passengers, who are literally our
spiritual sisters and brothers."

Last Sunday was Ori's birthday, but the cake wasn't served until after I wrote my weekly letter.  I stayed home while Roy attended the event (for grandparents only) because I had a cold (I thought).
Ori with her Harry Potter Lego set (and I made her
a Harry Potter pillowcase, below).  She looks like she liked it okay.


Matt also celebrated a birthday on the 9th of January.  Happy birthday Ori and Matt. ( I'll make a disclaimer here--don't be offended if your birthday is not mentioned in one of the newsletters.  It's too easy to forget people, so I only usually mention it if we did something to commemorate it).

I guess Avie is at that accident prone age, because she earned some more head scrapes this week.  

It was good that I didn't visit the Rasband's for Ori's birthday because I found out today that I have Covid.  It has felt all week like a bad cold/cough.  No fever or tasting problems.  I also had a low grade headache--especially upon waking.  I went to get tested on my way to a skating lesson this morning, more out of curiousity than anything because I was certain the test would be negative.  It was a rapid test, but I was 20 minutes into my lesson when the doctor's office called with the results.  I told my skating teacher and she said, "you better go."  So, I left.  I had cancelled last week because of how crummy I felt, but this week I decided I was done being sick.  
I didn't expose a lot of people this past week--I haven't been with too many of my family, but I did go out to lunch with Nan and Christine.  Since Christine was exposed at home, I don't feel too badly, but now Nan has been exposed.  I hope she doesn't get sick.  I also taught my water aerobics class, but I don't think I got too close to anyone.  The chlorine should kill the virus, right?  
Plus, we had dinner with Caitlyn and Dallin at their apartment Thursday night, and Jordan and Jennie worked on a puzzle with me for a little bit, so I exposed them, too.  Caitlyn tested negative today--as did Roy.
Caitlyn fixed us some delicious sliders with salad and fruit.
Very delicious!

Since I was sick I don't have a lot more to report for the week, but I received a couple of cute pictures of two of the newer members of our family.  Harvey is 8 + months old, but he still qualifies as being new.

Harvey: This is the t-shirt we gave him for
Christmas.  It's just a little big (they didn't
have infant sizes).


Yuli:  Jieun says she unwrapped her to feed her but she wouldn't be roused.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baptism of Maverick Roy Rasband (February 24, 2024)

Scriptural Thought

Ruby's baptism, Foster's baby blessing, and the Jackson's are in town